RT MediaMogul - шаблон joomla Авто
City to move forward on standalone water plant PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 13 March 2018 11:25


Instead of bond, city looking at KDHE revolving loan

• Leader & Times

Water will be a hot topic for the Liberal City Commission during its next meeting this evening beginning at 5:30 at the Seward County Administration Building in Suite 206. 

Up first will be discussion of Resolution No. 2276, which concerns the KDHE Water Pollution Control revolving loan. 

“In order to update the authorized individuals on our KDHE Water Pollution Control revolving loans we currently have with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, they have provided this resolution to designate Calvin Burke, interim city manager and Chris Ford, director of finance, as authorized individuals,” the agenda information noted. “We are not applying for any new loans at this time.”

After discussing a resolution regarding the acquisition of a new water department building, the commission will later move on to discussion of wastewater treatment plant plans before considering a request for the purchase of a 1-ton pickup for the Water Department. 

“After many discussions between National Beef, city staff and city commissioners, the commission has reached the consensus to build our wastewater plant as a stand-alone plant with the ability to process National Beef’s water not used for irrigation through a secondary train,” the agenda information noted. “Staff needs commission approval to continue with the following: finish design and build the plant; participate with National Beef on a 30/70 split on lagoon cleanup – of this, the City would be liable for 15 percent in cash payments, which would be deducted from National Beef’s wastewater treatment charges over a 36-month period, with the remaining 15 percent being made in lieu of a land transfer of all existing lagoons except cells 6 and 7, which will be retained by the city; establish treatment rates and parameters for treatment of National Beef influent and determine a ‘Do Not Accept’ level on chlorides; consider National Beef’s request for a tax abatement for land being transferred (with Economic Development assisting with the tax abatement package); and evaluate the rate for municipal treated water for sale and reuse water for the irrigation of city facilities.” 

Other purchases seeking approval will be Panasonic toughpads for the Building Department, a new vehicle for the Liberal Police Department and a replacement hose for the Liberal Fire Department. The fire department will also be making a request to enter a memorandum of agreement with the Kansas State University and the Kansas Forest Service. 

“We believe this is a mutually beneficial agreement as the Kansas Forest Service reaches out to support fire departments in the rural areas of the state,” the agenda information noted. “In addition to technical assistance and support, this agreement will also open the door for our department to take advantage of the Volunteer Fire Assistance Program. This program allows fire departments with wild land fire or urban interface responsibilities to apply for fire prevention, suppression or communication equipment. There are no guarantees of equipment or funding, but this simply places another resource at our disposal for the acquisition of wild land firefighting equipment.”

Other business for the commission to take on will include discussion of the fee structure and course trades for Willow Tree Golf Course, the agreement between the City and Earles Engineering and Inspection for collector and arterial street evaluation, and discussion of the charter ordinance with Mayor Connie Seigrist. 




About The High Plains Daily Leader

The High Plains Daily Leader and Southwest Daily Times are published Sunday through Friday and reaches homes throughout the Liberal, Kansas retail trade zone. The Leader & Times is the official newspaper of Seward County, USD No. 480, USD No. 483 and the cities of Liberal and Kismet.  The Leader & Times is a member of the Liberal Chamber of Commerce, the Kansas Press Association and the Associated Press.

For more, contact us.


Get the Daily Leader delivered to your home for $101.45 per year in Liberal, or $140 outside Liberal. Call 620-626-0840 for a subscription today. You can receive the print edition or an electronic edition! To subscribe today, email circulation@hpleader.com.

RocketTheme Joomla Templates