Gas line break this morning forces evacuation at Wal-Mart PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 27 January 2010 09:43

A gas leak this morning at Wal-Mart caused employees to evacuate the store. According to Liberal Fire Department Chief Kelly Kirk, no injuries occurred as a result of the leak. “Basically, we got a call to respond for a broken gas line in the building,” Kirk said. “It looked like what had happened was a fork lift, or some sort of a lift, had hit a gas line to a radiant heater back in the receiving base and broke a pipe off – it was releasing gas into the building. The gas was secured at the meter and we just aired the gas out of the building and let them back in right away.” Kirk said Wal-Mart employees had evacuated everyone from the building prior to calling the fire department at 7:16 a.m. He added the gas company was also on scene to repair the leak. LFD left the scene at 7:44 this morning with business back to normal at Wal-Mart. Daily Leader photo/Earl Watt

 
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner

Facebook

About The High Plains Daily Leader

The High Plains Daily Leader and Southwest Daily Times are published Sunday through Friday and reaches homes throughout the Liberal, Kansas retail trade zone. The Leader & Times is the official newspaper of Seward County, USD No. 480, USD No. 483 and the cities of Liberal and Kismet.  The Leader & Times is a member of the Liberal Chamber of Commerce, the Kansas Press Association, the National Newspaper Association and the Associated Press.

For more, contact us.

Subscribe

Get the Daily Leader delivered to your home for $101.45 per year in Liberal, or $140 outside Liberal. Call 620-626-0840 for a subscription today. You can receive the print edition or an electronic edition! To subscribe today, email circulation@hpleader.com.

RocketTheme Joomla Templates