ABOVE LEFT: Giovanna Baca models her blue bikini for the judges during the Miss Liberal Scholarship Pageant. After a second-place finish last year, Baca took home the crown and a handful of scholarships for her efforts. See more photos and the awards on PAGE 3A.
ABOVE RIGHT: Giovanna Baca reacts as 2012 Miss Liberal Lauren Sarchet and 2012 Miss Kansas Sloane Lewis give her the 2013 Miss Liberal crown. Baca is a sophomore at Seward County Community College/Area Technical School where she is a member of the cheerleading and dance teams. Giovanna has served as a “Dorothy” for six years at Dorothy’s House/Land of Oz where she has helped train more than 50 “Dorothy’s.” L&T photo/
By KEELEY MOREE
• Leader & Times
After a second place finish last year, Giovanna Baca claimed the 2013 Miss Liberal crown Sunday afternoon inside the James Maskus Auditorium in her third year of competing. The Miss Liberal Scholarship Pageant featured six young women competing in talent, swimwear, interview and evening wear categories. More than $7,000 dollars in scholarships were awarded to contestants. The awards are as follows:
• Miss Liberal 2012 – Giovanna Baca
• First Runner-Up – Tabitha Barnett
• Second Runner-Up – Isabella Martinez
• Private Interview Award – Giovanna Baca
• Artistic Expression in Talent Award – Tabitha Barnett
• Physical Fitness & Health in Swimwear Award – Giovanna Baca
• Eveningwear Award – Giovanna Baca
• SCCC Development Foundation Scholarships – Tabitha Barnett and Isabella Martinez
• Adrienne Rosel Bulinski “Quality of Life Award” – Giovanna Baca
• Blanca Richard, Nichole Kirk and KayLonni Williams each won scholarships for participating in the competition.